Thursday, January 17, 2008

A HEART OF GRATITIDE

Col 2:7 having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

My heart overflows with joy in recognizing it has always been the Lord who has been at work. I am so undeserving. I am amazed at the difference of what I receive from the Lord and what I deserve from Him. I receive grace and mercy daily, when what I merit is judgment and hell. Who am I that you are mindful of me? Who has changed my heart, but thee O Lord. I could have never loved You before you changed my heart and loved me first, nor could I have ever been willing to accept Your gift of salvation if You had not made me so. It is not until we realize our greatest problem has been cured.... the indebtness of our sin, can we fully feel gratitude for what God has done for us and lead a life of response to Him. The blood of Christ alone has redeemed me and I am grateful. The thankfulness we feel should motivate us to follow His teaching and precepts all the days of our lives. Although gratitude can mean thankfulness, it is a much deeper response when our hearts are filled with gratitude for the many blessings God gives us. David was considered by God to be a man after His own heart....why would God give him this title? I believe it is because David recognized the greatest gift God had given him.....HIMSELF. More than being chosen to be king from the least of his family, he had not earned this position and when sin abounded in David's life God's grace restored him. It is more than being thankful for all God has done for you and all the promises that await those who believe and persevere. It is about not missing the fact that God Himself is the greatest gift, more so than eternal life, no more sin, no more pain... Perhaps we will not be able to completely understand God's goodness to us in giving us Himself until we see Him face to face, but for now our mindset needs to be focused on Him being the greatest gift, not the blessings He bestows upon us. This praise to and for His name should overflow out of those of us who are saved. Let our worship be true not just because of what He has done for us, but because of who He is. God is great and greatly to be praised!!

Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Col 3:16