Friday, February 1, 2008

FAITH

If there were only one word to describe our Lord, the word faithful definately comes to mind. The Bible emphasizes being a people of faith, a people who would be shaped and characterized by the God of their faith. We cannot be a godly people with being people of faith. Hebrews chapter 11 talks of men and women who lived out the faith deep within them. They were people of faith, and God delighted to associate with them. Does God delight in my faithfulness toward Him? This is something I contemplate often. Am I faithful based on my circumstance? Those described in Hebrews 11 clearly showed their resistance against temptation, lusts and sufferings, so they would gain something greater for enduring and persevering. Their strong faith made them faithful. We must pursue this same kind of faith regardless of its effect on our lives. This one thing matters to our God, for those who know Him... to obey and enjoy Him. What does it require to please God....faith. Am I a pleasure to my God or am I shaming His name and His glory by a lack of faith?

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. Hebrews 11:1-2
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. Hebrews 11:6
All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them. Hebrews 11:13-16
And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they should not be made perfect. Hebrews 11:39-40
In Ephesians 2:8, we can be sure though faith is a gift from God, we will be faced with situations to apply our faith. Genuine faith produces faithfulness. Faithfulness is the appropriate response to what God would expect from His followers. What areas in your life have you been tested with? Each test is a test of our faith. "For without faith, it is impossible to please God." I so desire to be more like Christ, being full of faith. God often speaks of His pleasure in the Son. God spoke,"Thou art My beloved Son, in Thee I am well-pleased" (Mark 1:11). Do you realize we would always succeed if we were always faithful and did what God desires. Tests of our faith are an opportunity to trust God. Each circumstance is an opportunity of growing in faith. In Romans 4, Paul speaks of Abraham not waivering in unbelief, but growing strong in faith, giving glory to God. Oh that I would bring such glory to my Lord. I am guilty of becoming too self-reliant and less dependent upon Christ. I sometimes forget whose I am and the price that was paid for my remdemption.

The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me… John 12: 25-26

God promises us our faith is strengthened by a firm belief in His Word and being tried. I think this starts with a simple question...how much do I love God and His Word, and do I believe He will answer my prayers. Oh, Faithful One, help me to see past my circumstances and believe more in You. Lord, let me be known as a woman of faith who finds her pleasure in You and is pleasing in Your sight.